Substance use disorders in pregnancy and neonatal abstinence syndrome
Substance use disorders (SUDs) are on the rise and are of particular concern in women of childbearing age who are or may become pregnant. OB providers have a unique opportunity to help break the pattern of opioid misuse, thus, avoiding health consequences for both mother and child. The first step in this practice is to identify, treat and refer to treat women who are using unhealthy substances. Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield of Western New York is here to support providers, pregnant patients and their little ones on the way.
If you would like more information about the OB Case Management program or have a patient who would benefit from case management, call the Case Management Department at 1-888-830-4300, Monday to Friday.
My Advocate® program
As part of the New Baby, New LifeSM program, patients are offered the My Advocate® program. This program provides pregnant and postpartum women proactive, culturally appropriate outreach and education through Interactive Voice Response, smartphone application or website. Eligible members receive regular calls with tailored content from a voice personality (Mary Beth) or they may choose to access the program via a smartphone application or website. This program does not replace the high touch case management approach for high-risk pregnant women. However, it does serve as a supplementary tool to extend our health education reach.
Each automated My Advocate® communication gives the patient specific health care education in a warm, easy-to-understand fashion. Eligible patients receive regular messages with tailored content from Mary Beth, in English or Spanish. The topics include:
- Obstetric high-risk screening.
- Maternal and child health, including:
- Prenatal care.
- Postpartum care.
- Well-baby care.
For more information visit My Advocate® .
- Safe Prevention of Primary Cesarean Delivery
- Preventing Preterm Birth
- 2023 Prenatal Ultrasound Diagnostic Code List
- Postpartum Mood Disorder Flier
- Postpartum Interventions for Maternal Morbidity and Mortality
- New Baby, New Life Provider Booklet
- Prenatal ultrasound diagnosis (Dx) code update
- Correction: Cervical length measurement by transvaginal ultrasound
- Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale 1 (EPDS)
- New pregnancy notification process using the Availity Portal Benefit Look-Up tool
- Prenatal ultrasound coverage and coding
- State Collaborative Prenatal Management Guideline
- State Prenatal Care Risk Screening And Referral Form
- New mother postpartum visit schedule
- A provider’s guide to diagnosis coding for pregnancy
- Preventing preterm birth
- Safe prevention of primary cesarean delivery
- Western New York Collaborative Prenatal Management Guidelines
Provider tools and resources
- Log in to Availity
- Launch Provider Learning Hub Now
- Learn about Availity
- Precertification lookup tool
- Precertification requirements
- Claims overview
- Member eligibility & pharmacy overview
- Provider manual and guides
- Training Academy
- Pharmacy information
- Electronic Data Interchange (EDI)